Temporary Visitor’s Driver’s License

(Available after December 1, 2013)

Do I qualify for the program?

  • You must have a valid, foreign unexpired passport from the country of citizenship or a consular card approved by the Illinois State Police


  • Resided in the State of Illinois for more than twelve months

Where can I apply?

  • Aurora DeKalb Peoria
  • Bethalo Edwardsville Rockford Central
  • Bloomington Elgin Springfield
  • Bradley Joliet Waukegan 
  • Bridgeview Libertyville Woodstock
  • Carbondale Macomb Melrose Park
  • Champaign Midlothian Chicago North
  • Chicago South Moline/Silvis Chicago West
  • Naperville

How do I apply?

  • Call the Illinois Secretary of State at a toll-free number that has yet to be released


What do I need to bring?

  • Valid, foreign unexpired passport or Consular Card
  • One example of a written signature

    Examples: Unexpired Passport, Consular Card, High School Driver’s Certificate, Court Order, Major Credit Card, United States Issued Identification Card, Mortgage Agreement, Current out of State Driver’s License or Identification Card or Mexican Electoral Card
  • Two documents issued within ninety days of the application date which shows current address

    Examples: Consular Card, Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Credit Report, Deed, Mortgage, Lease, Insurance Policy, Medical Claim or Statement of Benefits from Private Insurer or Government Agency, Official Mail, Report Card, Homestead Exemption Receipt, Pension or Retirement Statement, Tuition Invoice, Certified School Transcript or Selective Service Card
  • One document issued at least twelve months prior to application date which shows residency in Illinois

    Examples: Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Insurance Policy, Mortgage or Lease, Medical Claim or Statement of Benefits from Private Insurance or Government Agency, Official Mail, Homestead Exemption Receipt, Pension or Retirement Statement, Report Card, Tuition Invoice or Certified School Transcripts
  • If your name is different than the name on the passport or consular card, then you must bring a court order authorizing the name change or marriage certificate

Application Process on the Appointment Day.

  • Check in at the facility at the scheduled time
  • Document Confirmation
  • Completion of the vision, written and road test
  • Pay a $30 fee
  • Identification Photograph

When will I receive the TVDL?

  • Within fifteen to twenty business days the TVDL or a denial letter with further instruction will be mailed to the provided home address


  • Driving purposes only, no identification purposes, for three years
  • Valid in Illinois only. You must confirm validity with other states prior to driving outside the State of Illinois
  • Valid only with effective liability insurance