Illinois Post-Decree Hearing Attorneys

Was your divorce recently finalized in Illinois? You may feel relief that the long, arduous divorce process is over. Unfortunately, even after your divorce is finalized, legal issues may arise that need to be addressed. When your situation or the situation of your ex-spouse changes or when your ex-spouse fails to comply with the terms of the divorce decree, a post-decree hearing may be in order.

At Glasgow & Olsson, our experienced Cook County divorce litigation attorneys effectively represent our clients before, during, and after their trials in post-decree hearings. When legal issues arise after the finalization of your divorce, our attorneys will continue to fight for your best interests. After your divorce decree hearing, you could walk away with an entirely different divorce agreement that better reflects your current situation.

When Is a Post Divorce Decree Hearing Necessary?

In Illinois, one spouse’s failure to comply with the divorce decree or a change in circumstances may warrant a post-decree hearing. The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act allows parties to modify or terminate child support or spousal maintenance when a significant change in circumstances occurs. The following situations may warrant a post-decree hearing in Illinois:

  • Failure of one spouse to turn over property awarded to another spouse in the divorce decree
  • Denial of visitation of the shared child or children
  • Changes in circumstances that affect child support
  • Changes in circumstances that affect child custody
  • Failure to pay spousal maintenance
  • Failure to pay child support
  • Loss of a job
  • Re-marriage of one or both ex-spouses
  • Moving to another location
  • Inheriting money or assets

Have you experienced any of the situations listed above? If so, one of our experienced Illinois divorce attorneys can help you fight for your best interests a post-decree hearing. Our attorneys can ask the court to take the following necessary actions on your behalf in a post-decree hearing:

  • Garnish your spouse’s bank account or wages
  • Request an order for your ex-spouse to attend a hearing
  • Ask for post-decree modifications to your divorce decree

In rare cases, an Illinois family court may modify the property division rules set forth in the original divorce decree. This typically only happens if the property division in the original divorce decree was based on inaccurate information. If one party intentionally concealed assets before the original divorce decree, the family court may impose severe penalties on that person and allow a modification of the divorce decree in light of the new financial information.

Requesting Modification of Your Child Custody or Visitation Agreement

Would you like to request a modification to your child custody agreement within two years of your divorce? If so, you will need to provide facts that prove that your child’s environment seriously endangers his or her physical, emotional, moral, or mental health. If you would like to change your custody agreement two or more years after your divorce, you must demonstrate that a substantial change in circumstances has happened and that a modification is in the best interest of your child.

If You Need to Modify Your Divorce Decree, Our Attorneys can Help

The skilled Cook County trial attorneys at Glasgow & Olsson excel in representing clients in Illinois post-divorce decree hearings. Contact our office today to schedule an initial consultation.

(image courtesy of Estefania Solveyra)

This entry was posted in: 

And tagged: